Oncology Consult 12/26

Good evening friends & fam!

Thank you all for your constant love, support, and prayers.  I am so grateful to have each and every one of you.  What a precious gift from God that you all are to me.

My consultation with the oncologist went well today.  By God’s grace the cancer did not spread to any of my 28 lymph nodes.  My doctor explained that the inflammation surrounded the cancer in my colon in such a way that it couldn’t spread anywhere.  I’ve never heard of that before, so either it’s a God ordained miracle, or it’s the way God created our bodies to protect us.  I am grateful for this and amazed by it.  God was already taking care of me before I was even aware of the existence of any cancer in my body.

My oncologist will determine whether or not I need chemo or other treatment based on several tests: they are running a couple tests on the cancer they removed, which will take a couple weeks; they did blood work this afternoon to run a couple specialized tests on my blood; once I have fully healed from surgery they will do a pet scan to check on any cancer cells (they will probably find Wookie and Hans on that one - dumb joke haha).

During this appointment I found out that I’m currently anemic.  I was never anemic before, so I’m not clear on whether or not this came about because of the cancer, the surgery, or what.  The doctor recommended that I reduce my walking to 5 minutes at a time and take it easy due to the anemia.  I wish I had known because then I wouldn’t have been pushing my body so much to walk more and more.  Everyone kept saying “you’re young - you’ll heal fast”, but this certainly doesn’t feel fast.  It’s kind of a two steps forward, one step back cha cha.

Thank you to my Schmid work fam for the kudoboard and get well cards - they were so sweet, and I was so thankful to hear from you all!  You sure know how to make a gal feel loved.  I can’t wait to see you all once I’m feeling better.

I’ve been reading along in Psalms on my audio Bible - the Scriptures are encouraging and meet me right where I am at this moment.  I am so grateful for God’s Word, and I sure am thankful it’s long because this journey is going to take a while.  They told me I won’t be able to resume a normal diet until 4 - 6 weeks out from surgery.  I’ve tried to eat some normal foods here and there, but it doesn’t work out very well for me.  The oncologist put in a referral to a dietician to help me figure out what foods will help me.  Sadly I need to stay away from sugar and red meat as both of those aren’t good for cancer.

Some ways you might pray for me:

~ for my CEA marker to drop from 51 to 2, which is the normal range (the oncologist said it can take up to 6 weeks post-surgery for this number to drop); this marker indicates the body’s propensity to generate tumors

~ for Trevor to get deep sleep at night

~ for God’s direction regarding treatment moving forward

~ for God to resolve my anemia and increase my strength

~ for my digestion to improve and my ability to tolerate more normal foods

~ for God to grant me complete remission

God bless you all!  Love and miss you!

Laura

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Unexpected Journey

6:53am

Great is Thy faithfulness.